Why be an Owner/Builder?
As well as saving thousands of dollars, there are many benefits in being an owner/builder.
- Be in control of the result – don’t be told you have to settle for less
- Build the house YOU want – be limited only by your imagination (and budget)
- Enjoy the flexibility to make last minute changes
- Use your own preferred tradesmen, friends/family
- No waiting time – build to suit YOUR schedule
Most states in Australia require you to hold an owner/builder’s permit whenever you undertake a construction project on your property, that exceeds their cost threshold.
Acquiring a permit is a simple process, involving an application fee and normally a short course – which can be completed online at your own pace.
Permits required by State
|Owner/Builder permit required?||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Permit required threshold?||$11k||$5k||$12k||n/a||$12k||$20k||$0||$5k|